I have been told that I need to get my foreign document notarised. What does this mean?
  • 30th Sep 2019
  • Article written by Janet Goode
  • Share:

If you have dealings in an overseas jurisdiction then you may be asked to sign documents in front of a Notary.  You may be buying or selling property abroad, getting married abroad, involved in administering an estate of someone who lived overseas or caught up in legal proceedings in a foreign jurisdiction.  In all these cases the foreign jurisdiction will need you to sign documents.  In order that you do not have to travel to the foreign jurisdiction to sign the documents in front of a lawyer there, the documents can be signed by you in the UK in front a Notary.  When you are asked to get a document notarised, therefore, you will need to take it to a Notary so that the Notary can follow the instructions of the overseas lawyer to complete the document.  This may mean that the Notary has to witness your signature, certify a copy of your passport or other documents, attach a certificate with a statement by you or verify your identity.