Whitehead Monckton are proud to be corporate members of the Marlowe Theatre.
The Marlowe’s story began when a small theatre opened in St Margaret’s Street, just before the First World War. In the 1920s, it was then turned into a cinema called the Central Picture Theatre. The cinema failed to compete with the other new cinemas and the building became a theatre once more, to be used by amateur dramatics groups. In 1949 it became the city’s first Marlowe Theatre.
The Marlowe Theatre’s programme includes some of the country’s biggest and best artists and companies, with regular visits from the National Theatre, the Royal Shakespeare Company, Glyndebourne Touring Opera, Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures and the Philharmonia Orchestra.
Each year, the theatre generates over £34 million for the local economy, through attracting theatre audiences to Canterbury. The economic impact takes into account all the money spent by their audience and visiting artists in the city during their visits to the theatre.