Single Status Declaration for Marriages Abroad

Contact Us


It is increasingly popular to get married in a foreign jurisdiction, particularly one where you can guarantee the sunshine!  Each jurisdiction has its own rules for accepting couples for marriage within its borders.  It is often a matter of having to reside there for a short period, usually seven to fourteen days, in order to obtain a form of citizenship which will then enable the jurisdiction to undertake your marriage service.

Before doing so, however, it is often necessary to produce a document showing that you are free to marry.  The document needs to show that you are not already married and there is no restriction on your marrying.  Such a document is referred to as a Single Status Declaration.

We have experience in drawing up such documents or certifying foreign drafted declarations.  Our Notary can meet with you to verify your identity, hear the declaration from you and complete the appropriate Notarial Certificate to verify that you have made the declaration.  If it requires the Apostille (Link) then we can arrange for this to be produced also.

Travel agents specialising in overseas weddings will often require other documents to be certified and our Notary is happy to liaise directly with your chosen travel agent to ensure that the legal documents are sent to them directly.

Before getting swept up in all the wedding plans remember to contact us to confirm our requirements to help you and book the Notary meeting into the busy schedule.





Get in Touch

    Whitehead Monckton is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, and we’ll only use your personal information to administer your account and to provide the products and services you requested from us. From time to time, we would like to contact you about our products and services, as well as other content that may be of interest to you. If you consent to us contacting you for this purpose, please tick below to say how you would like us to contact you:

    You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time. For more information on how to unsubscribe, our privacy practices, and how we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, please review our Privacy Policy.