Overview Can we help?

Employment work is usually charged at the applicable hourly rate.


For example:


Our trainee rate is £150 plus VAT per hour.


Our Associate rate is £250 plus VAT per hour.


It is likely that the majority of your case will be conducted by a Senior Solicitor or an Associate Solicitor at a rate of £200 to £250 plus VAT per hour.


Settlement Agreements:

Our charge for providing advice and providing a signed advisor’s certificate in respect of a straight forward settlement agreement for a junior employee is typically £350 plus VAT.


The costs associated with advising on a complex settlement agreement and / or advising a more senior employee will exceed this level. We are happy to talk to you to give you a more detailed quote depending on the circumstances. Typically, the cost of such work will be between £500 and £1,000 plus VAT.


Please note that if we are required to negotiate with a view to obtaining enhanced / better terms than those put forward by an employer, then this work will exceed the guide prices set out above and any such work will be billed at our hourly rate. We should be able to give you a guide to the likely cost of such work, at the outset. However, such a cost will depend on factors beyond our control, such as how protracted negotiations become and how much you wish to fight for an increase.

  1. the event that we are required to put an employment tribunal claim to protect your position, further costs will apply. We are able to discuss likely costs with you as and when this looks likely.

Wrongful and unfair Dismissal Claims:

We represent individuals / employees who have wrongful and / or unfair dismissal claims. We always look to advise our clients in their best interests, which will usually mean looking to obtain a reasonable settlement as early on as possible.


Our involvement in such matters usually involves the following steps:

  • Initial advice – which usually includes a meeting with you and a review of relevant paperwork etc.
  • Negotiations - Pre-litigation correspondence / ACAS Early Conciliation / Negotiation. (Please note that attempts to negotiate are often ongoing throughout the process)
  • If there is no resolution reached, submission of an Employment Tribunal Claim.
  • Attendance at a Preliminary Hearing – which is often conducted on the telephone but sometimes in person. This is usually conducted by Counsel.
  • Preparation for hearing, including agreement of issues, preparation and review of documentation, preparation of witness statements.
  • Ongoing Correspondence / case management.
  • Full Hearing of the matter at an Employment Tribunal – usually 1 to 3 days.
  • If successful – Remedy Hearing – usually no more than a day.

Costs for representation vary greatly depending on a number of factors, including but not limited to:

  • the complexity of the case.
  • the volume of paperwork involved.
  • the stage at which the case is concluded (i.e. whether the matter is settled prior to litigation or if it proceeds to a full heating).
  • the length of the hearing.
  • the clarity of instructions provided by our client.
  • the conduct of the other party involved.
  • whether settlement discussions are become protracted.
  • the complexity of settlement documentation.
  • whether there is a formal Judicial Mediation.

Likely costs:

Our costs for work in these sorts of matters typically range between £1,000 to £8,000 plus VAT. Please note that this range of costs would not include Disbursements, such as Counsel’s fees. It is not a maximum limit on our costs in such matters


Example costs:

  • Costs for an initial meeting, perusal of documentation (up to one lever arch) and initial advice about options / next steps - £500 to £1,000 plus VAT.
  • A letter to the ex-employer (as approved by you) - £150 to £250 plus VAT.
  • Negotiations including the initiation of ACAS Early Conciliation – follow up phone calls with ACAS– submission of one proposal of settlement - £200 - £400 plus VAT.
  • Submission of Employment Claim - £1,000 to £1,500 plus VAT
  • Preparation of Documentation / Witness Statements / Schedule of Loss - £1200 - £3,000 plus VAT (depending on case)

(Please note that the above estimates are based on matters which do not include: the writing of grievance letters, advice in respect of protracted grievances; advice in connection with data subject access requests; consideration of large volumes of documentation (e.g. obtained by data subject access requests), claims involving allegations of discrimination; claims involving protected disclosure / whistleblowing, and / or travel to and from client’s home or chosen meeting venue).



The main disbursement in these types of cases will be for Counsel’s fees. Counsel is not usually involved until a decision has been made to lodge an Employment Tribunal Claim. These are discussed with clients before they are incurred but typically range from £600 to £4500 plus VAT, depending on the extent of Counsel’s involvement. Counsel is usually engaged in the drafting of pleadings and to attend hearings.


Alternative ways to fund your matter:

Tribunals are devised so that parties can represent themselves without lawyers. However, in recent years employment law has become increasingly complex and we would always recommend that individuals obtain at least some legal advice, wherever possible.


Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB have offices across the south east and are usually able to provide employment related advice free of charge:




Law Centres

Law Centres can often provide advice in relation to employment claims:


Kent University offer a Law Clinic from October to March and can be contacted at:




01227 823311


Queen Mary, University of London also have a Legal Advice Centre:




Free Representation Unit (FRU)

FRU may be able to help you (free of charge) with an Employment Tribunal claim:




Trade union membership

If you are a member of a trade union, you may be entitled to free legal representation. You should contact your trade union directly for advice.


Legal Expenses Insurance

Legal Expenses Insurance is often provided with insurance (including household) and banking products. You should check the relevant policies and details / conditions of cover. You should usually contact / notify your insurer without delay and they will be able to tell you what you need to do.


We are sometimes able to provide advice which paid for in whole or part by a legal expenses insurer, depending on their terms.


No win no fee type arrangements

We are unable to offer such types of arrangements but some solicitors do. You can find these firms via Google.

Can we help?